Student Loan Process
Have your child complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) at www.FAFSA.gov.
This is your first step in getting student aid. You must do this every year.
What Can I Do When I Log In?
- Complete Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Required before you receive your first loan for your child's education.
Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to eligible graduate or professional students and eligible parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for the cost of the student's education at participating schools.
- Request a PLUS Loan
Check with your child's school to see if this is what they want you to do to request a PLUS Loan.
This is a request for information in connection with your application for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. The information that you provide will be sent to the school that you choose, and will be used by the school to process your application for a Direct PLUS Loan.
- Complete PLUS Counseling
Plus Counseling can be completed at any time to help PLUS borrowers:
- Understand the costs and obligations that come with borrowing a PLUS Loan and
- Make careful decisions about taking on student loan debt.
PLUS Counseling is required when the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you must complete PLUS Counseling.
- Document Extenuating Circumstances
If you have received an adverse credit decision, you may still be eligible to receive a Direct PLUS Loan.
Document to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education that:
- The information causing the adverse credit decision is incorrect or has been corrected.
- There are extenuating circumstances relating to the adverse credit history. (Note: Endorsers aren't eligible for this option.) The Secretary is able to use discretion and, based on your circumstances consider whether extenuating circumstances allow you to qualify for a loan.
- Endorsers can Complete an Electronic Endorser Addendum
An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the Direct PLUS Loan if the borrower becomes delinquent in making payments or defaults on the loan. The endorser may not be the student on whose behalf a parent obtains a Direct PLUS Loan.
- Print Endorser Addendum
Only a Direct PLUS Loan borrower with adverse credit who has completed a Direct PLUS Loan Request can print an endorser addendum.
Log in above to print the Endorser Addendum for your endorser.
- Complete Financial Awareness Counseling
Financial Awareness Counseling provides tools and information to help you understand your financial aid and help you manage your finances. (Optional)
- Use the Repayment Estimator
Use it any time to see the impact of future borrowing and personalized repayment plan choices.
This tool uses your loan information from National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to estimate Initial monthly payments, repayment plan eligibility repayment plan cost comparison and total interest paid.
Watch to Learn More!