Important Note: If you currently have one or more defaulted federal education loans that are assigned to the U.S. Department of Education for collection and you want to consolidate the defaulted loans, you must use a different process. If you want to consolidate one or more defaulted loans that are currently assigned to the U.S. Department of Education, go to http://loanconsolidation.ed.gov to begin the consolidation process.
A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan. Through your completion of the Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Application and Promissory Note, you will confirm the loans that you want to consolidate and agree to repay the new Direct Consolidation Loan. Once the consolidation is complete, you will have a single monthly payment on the new Direct Consolidation Loan instead of multiple monthly payments on the loans you consolidated.
More Direct Consolidation Loan information is available on StudentAid.gov.
If you prefer, you may complete an electronic version of the Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Application and Promissory Note by signing in to StudentLoans.gov.
If you want to proceed with completing a paper version of the Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Application and Promissory Note, you will use the documents below. After downloading, printing, and completing the documents you need, you will mail your application package to the consolidation servicer you choose. The servicer will complete the consolidation and then service your Direct Consolidation Loan.
Information About Servicer Selection
The servicers listed below are the U.S. Department of Education's consolidation servicers.
- If you are consolidating for the purpose of Public Service Loan Forgiveness, you will mail your application package to FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA). FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA) is the PSLF servicer.
- If you are not consolidating for the purpose of PSLF, you will mail your application package to one of the federal loan servicers listed below.
Note: The current servicer of the loans that you want to consolidate may be one of the listed consolidation servicers. If your current servicer is listed, you may choose to keep your current servicer for your new Direct Consolidation Loan, or you may choose a different servicer.
Information About Documents Below
You will use the documents below as follows:
- Direct Consolidation Loan Application and Promissory Note -- Use this document to apply for a Direct Consolidation Loan. The document includes instructions, the application, a Repayment Plan Selection form, and an Income-Based (IBR) / Pay As You Earn / Income-Contingent (ICR) Repayment Plan Request form.
Note: You will use the Repayment Plan Selection form or the Income-Based (IBR) / Pay As You Earn / Income-Contingent (ICR) Repayment Plan Request form to choose a repayment plan. You should understand the details of the available repayment plans before you make a selection. General repayment plan information is available on StudentAid.gov.
- Direct Consolidation Loan Additional Loan Listing Sheet -- Use this document to add loans to your application if all of your loan information does not fit on the application.
- Direct Consolidation Loan Request to Add Loans -- Use this document when you work with your consolidation servicer to add loans to your application after it has been submitted or to add loans to your Direct Consolidation Loan within 180 days after the date your Direct Consolidation Loan was made.
Note: The expiration date of one or more of the forms posted on this page may have passed. The U.S. Department of Education is in the process of re-clearing these forms with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The versions of the forms posted here will remain valid for use during the OMB clearance process, even if the current expiration date has passed. Updated versions of the forms with new expiration dates will be posted after we receive approval from OMB.
Direct Consolidation Loan Application Additional Loan Listing Sheet
Direct Consolidation Loan Request to Add Loans
|Servicer Name||Servicer Address||Servicer Phone||Servicer Website|
|Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc.||Consolidation Department
P.O. Box 8956
Madison, WI 53708-8956 USA
|Nelnet||PO Box 82658
Lincoln, NE 68501-2658 USA
|FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)||FedLoan Servicing
P.O. Box 69184
Harrisburg, PA 17106-9184 USA
|Sallie Mae||Attn: ED Loan Consolidation
PO Box 6180
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6180 USA